Monday, April 9, 2012

Dumbarton Oaks Art Installation

It's pathetic how many photos I have of Dumbarton Oaks in the fall and winter, and how few I have of the spring.  I suppose it's indicative of how busy folks in my field are each spring.  But yesterday, for Easter, I actually took the afternoon to enjoy a visit.  


Perhaps the most lovely surprise was the new art installation, Cloud Terrace, by Andy Cao and Xavier Perrot.  It's placed on the Arbor Terrace and composed of chicken wire and Swarovski "Elements" (according to the info sheet the Gardens' provided).


On such a bright sunny day, seeing the dense gray "clouds" of the wire made a marked contrast.  But sadly, photos don't accurately capture the dazzling rainbow of colors reflected by the crystals, which are tethered to the wire.


The black reflection in the pool highlights some of the ruby and sapphire hues that were twinkling when a breeze lifted, but photos don't do it justice.  Definitely check it out between now and autumn!

3 comments:

  1. I've been curious to go, but to be honest, have not been impressed with the images of the installation I've seen to date. I'm glad to hear you think it's successful. I'll check it out. Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Jennifer! A double bonus...Dumbarton Oaks and Cloud Terrace. Can't wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want some crystal clouds...I do.

    ReplyDelete